Spicy Green Onion Salad
The spicy green onion salad is favorite at Korean BBQ. Its spicy flavors adds to the unseasoned meats fired on the grill. This delicious salad pairs excellent with steaks. The green onions have a crisp, mild flavor, and when mixed with some red pepper flakes it makes a wonderful spicy side salad. In Korea or any Korean / Asian grocery store look for Pajeori (파절이.) Otherwise, scallions will work wonderfully. If you are feeling energetic a combination of scallions and spring onions is an excellent combination.
- 1/2 lb Pajeori Onions (if not available, Scallions or Spring Green Onions are a good alternate)
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 2 Teaspoons Red Pepper Flake
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1 Pinch of Black Pepper
Make the Sauce
- Mix all but the onion in a small bowl and place in fridge.
Prepare the Onion
- If you you purchased pre-sliced green onion, rinse the onion in a strainer for 3-5 minutes. This will remove any unwanted slime or other particles.
- If you can not find pre-sliced green onions, you will have to slice the onion with a knife. I have found a potato peeler works reasonably well for this. It can take 10 minutes to slice the onions. Some Korean grocery stores sell a special kitchen tool for this exact purpose. Or you can purchase one on Amazon – Onion Shredder. Rinse the onion in a strainer for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and place into large bowl.
Mix and Serve
- Mix the sauce with the sliced onions just before serving. The onions tend to wilt fast. It will be delicious!